Tuesday, October 09, 2012

HR FACTORED ED COHEN

Global Talent Leader Ed Cohen tells Jisla Xavier the need for corporate and academic worlds in India to have a greater connect with each other Issue Date - 01/07/2011

Mr. Ed Cohen has over 30 years experience in strategic leadership, influencing change and culture, and talent development. He is a leading business coach and has authored a best-seller titled ‘Leadership Without Borders’. Mr. Cohen has also helped two companies attain the number one ranking in the American Society of Training and Development BEST Awards. In an exclusive interview with The Human Factor, he talks about career, the lessons learnt and much more.

Q. You have played different roles in diverse businesses. Did you always know that this is what you wanted to do in life?

A. I did. I always knew that I want ed to do something in education and learning. Growing up, I wanted to be a doctor but when I got to college I did not want that, so I got into the business line. I did accounting for a couple of years and found out that the thing that I really loved was working with people. So, I left accounting and joined the education and learning world in 1982.

Q. What attracted you towards HR?

A. What initially attracted me is not the thing that actually kept me going throughout my career. When I was six, I was injured in a fire and had to spend six months in a hospital. My first grade teacher would come to the hospital every day after school and tutor me. She did it without any extra pay. This drew me towards teaching. When I went into learning, I discovered that I was able to articulate and communicate in a way that people could learn effectively, and it excited me.

Read Full Interview